Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Scientific bias

Laypeople should not think that scientists are unemotional unbiased people. They have biases and as bigoted as some of us. Scientists are into the politics of ideas. They are into band wagon and what is the "flavor of the month theories". They are swayed by popular ideas just like any of us. In fact most of them follow the crowd, or the mainstream, it is good for their career.

Some laypeople think that scientists are active passionate seekers of the TRUTH. You have to laugh because right now, some of them do not have a definition of TRUTH. Most do not even adopt such category in their mental machinery.

What do I mean by politics of ideas? I mean, scientists throw their weight on a particular theory not because they have investigated the merits of such a theory but because it is popular, i.e. since lots of people are into this stuff, so they reason, then it must be good and worth their time. This happens so much so that if you present an idea that is even vaguely challenging the popular view, they look at you as a moron, someone not to be taken seriously. They did this to Godel and Einstein.

I come from a traditional mathematical background, I was taught to look for elegance. Even in my programming practice I strive for it. What do we mean by elegance? We mean it is the simplest solution to a problem. However, most scientists are not convinced that the simplest solution is usually the answer to a complex problem. Simplicity is beauty.

Let us remember scientists have presuppositions and biases, they are human beings just like the rest of us; the smartest ones recognize their biases and have learned to be skeptical of themselves.

11 comments:

Augustinian Successor said...

Dear Kuya,

I emailed to your Monash email address yesterday, but my mail was rejected. The email is as per below ...

Dear Kuya,

Sorry for not getting back to you. I came back from my hometown yesterday. My dearly beloved Father has gone to be with the Lord! His passing away was sudden and unexpected, which is why I feel so sad even though I also feel joyful at the same time. I feel so sad, deprived because my Dad loved me and loves me. And I have not been the good son i wish i was! But I thank God that he and I both love the truth, the truth that our righteousness is extra nos and extra nos alone! He was a man of faith, who kept the Faith and run the course. It was indeed wonderful that he shared the same love for the truth of the Protestant Reformation, Luther, Calvin, etc. We thank God that He delivered us from an Arminian background.

Kuya, keep up the good work. Our Good Lord has blest me with good results for my part-time Master's (in public policy) and my work as a research analyst at the same place in University of Malaya. I look forward to joining you soon. Been pretty busy, yes, partly because of my "preoccupation" with the recent conflict in Gaza.

In Christ,
Jason

LPC said...

Dear A.S.

Just the other day I was just thinking of you.

Bro, I have no words that would ease your loss, because I am mourning with you. God be praised for the gift of your dad, that you knew him, that you learned from him, that he showed and live in front of you his faith.

Our good byes in this world are only temporary.

It is wonderful to hear you got good results in your Master's degree, God will use whatever you have in you for his glory and also to bless you.

Stay well while you mourn and grieve, we lift you into God's hands who is our comfort and help.

Kuya,

LP

Augustinian Successor said...

Dear Kuya,

I have yet to finish my Master's but so far, the Good Lord has blest me with godo results. I have to continue to persevere.

Thank you once again for your encouragement and fellowship and prayers!

LPC said...

Yes finish what you have started. Let's pray for one another in this regard. I need to finish my thesis too.

God be with you,

LP

Augustinian Successor said...

And with you too, Kuya. Keeping you and your family in my prayers too.

Is your Monash email still accessible?

LPC said...

No more, I am emailing you separately to get my email address.


LP

Anonymous said...

A.S.,

I am sorry for you on the death of your Father.

It is a bitter sweet time. You know that he is in Paradise with the Lord...but you miss him so.

I pray the Lord will strengthen and comfort you in your grief.

God bless you.

- Steve Martin

Anonymous said...

L.P.C.,

Great post!

You have really nailed it here!

I'm going to forward your post to many friends and family.

Thanks for those geart thoughts!

- Steve

Augustinian Successor said...

Dear Bro. Steve,

Thank you for your encouraging words, fellowship and prayers! Yes, I'm grateful to Our Lord that my dearly beloved Father passed away peacefully in the knowledge that he was both a sinner and a saint at the same time, and now he is a saint forever!

Warmly in Christ,
Jason

Augustinian Successor said...

http://www.mtio.com/articles/bissar74.htm

By dear Dr. Louis Brighton, LCMS theologian

LPC said...

Thanks for the link, will do read and study.

LP